Tumor cell removed. Have weight gain, increased heart rate and poor sleep. What is the cause?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have normal Thyroid hormones, a few years back I had a 4cm tumor remove as well as my left side thyroidectomy. Now, it is has begin...weight gain flutuations going between hypo and hyperthyroidism, hormones normal but peroxidase is high and thyroidglobulins are 132. I am experiencing other symptoms as well rapid heartrate above 100 which the heart muscle has been evaluated and is fine but now I have sleep disturbances of waking up 5 times or so with terrible flank pain on both sides and need to urinate. I have stripes and noticed ketones present with sl. protein. what is it? Metabolic distruption with thyroid dysfunction causes the kidneys to be disrupted?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Increase heart rate (specially if tests are normal) and poor sleep are symptoms of anxiety disorder. Thyroid hormone imbalance also increases chances of developing anxiety disorder manifold.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm (may lead to pain in any part of body), heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

So following steps will help you:
-Reduce your health worry by investigating causes.
-Repeat thyroid hormone test (T3/T4/TSH).
-Kidney function test and Urine routine and microscopy
-Blood sugar level
-Evaluation for anxiety detection: Anxiety disorder is diagnosed from detailed history taken by psychiatrist, mental status examination and laboratory test to fix cause of anxiety.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal