Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Trying to quit smoking and drinking. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I want to Quit Smoking And Drinking.Please Advice.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
I congratulate you for your great idea of quitting two evils in one go!
Actually they are habits that we develop over time and get used to them and still later we become dependent on them.
With chronic use the Dependence is produced which may be-
1. Physical dependence
2. Psychological dependence.
The first one cause more severe symptoms and causes withdrawal syndromes that can be life threatening at times, so the discontinuation as a rule should be slow, this particularly is the case with alcohol and opioids.
Tobacco produces psychological dependence and is easy to stop.
You can seek help of a medical practitioner, these days good drugs are there that can help you wean from these addictions.
Take a firm resolution not to restart and avoid the company which is a stimulus for such activities.
I think with good resolution and watchful behaviour change you would win.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor