Owl Image

Trying to get pregnant. What test should be done?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have been married for 18 months now.have always got periods on time. me and husband have till date not used any form of contraception. But still i havent succeeded in getting pregnant. I do not have any health problems, nor does my husband. I also do not consume alcohol or smoke. However, my husband is a smoker and does consume alcohol. I try and include fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet and also avoid too much fried stuff. My height is 5'5 and weight is around 55kgs. Regarding pregnancy, should i wait a bit more before actually seeking medical intervention?
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 52 minutes later

I went through the details submitted with diligence and I feel it is time you need to get help from a competent infertility specialist.

You and your partner will need battery of test as follows:

1. Semen analysis of your husband from a good laboratory. Semen analysis is the first step.
2. If semen analysis is abnormal, he has to stop smoking & alcohol.
3. HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) to test your fallopian tubes. It's a simple test but an important investigation tool.
4. If both reports are normal, you will need follicular growth scan to know follicular growth and best time for intercourse.

With this stepwise evaluation which can be done under the guidance of an infertility specialist, we will be able to identify the problem and its solution.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck and regards,
Dr. Mahesh Koregol,
IVF & Infertility Specialist