Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Trying to get pregnant. Could eating unhealthy food and sugar hurt an embryo before implantation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
Hi there!

I am trying to get pregnant and think I probably have PCOS and possible insulin resistance. I can be a bit of an emotional eater, and a week after ovulation (i use opks and temping to chart) I got rather depressed and ate a TON of fatty and sugary foods for a week. Then I read that high blood sugar levels can cause birth defects. I haven't had any refined sugar since then (6days past ovulation) but am feeling rather worried. Could eating so much unhealthy food and sugar hurt an embryo before implantation? (I had a negative pregnancy test at 8 days past ovulation today, so I'm guessing implantation hasn't happened yet.)

I keep reading that high blood glucose levels are very XXXXXXX in early pregnancy, but I'm trying to figure out how this could really cause harm before the embryo even implants.

Thank you!
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
High blood glucose levels are seen in diabetic mothers. Taking large amounts of refined sugars is not associated with high blood sugar levels unless there is an insulin resistance.
The effect of high blood glucose levels is seen only after implantation and this causes an oxygen deprivation thus interfering with the normal growth of the baby.
You can get your fasting blood glucose levels tested to know if you are pre-diabetic. In case the fasting blood glucose levels are raised then going for a glucose tolerance test is advisable.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor