Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive twins,medical procedures?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 84 Questions
I am a 24 Years Old Married Woman. I am 58 Kgs . So far Me and my husband we have been having protected sex.

My husband is very keen on getting Twins. So i would like to discuss about the steps I need to take for that to happen. I would also like to know the possible methods available including any kind of medical procedures.

Sun, 20 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 35 minutes later

Twin pregnancy occurs naturally under two circumstances:
1. Paternal twins: When two eggs are released by the ovary in a single menstrual cycle and both get fertilized and implanted into the uterus.
2. Maternal twins: When a single fertilized ovum divides and starts growing as two separate embryos.

There is no way in which you can control the occurrence of either of the above.

The only way in which you have a high chance of conceiving twins is through in-vitro fertilization (IVF). In this procedure, eggs are harvested from your ovaries and fertilized using your husband's semen in the laboratory. The fertilized embryos are then implanted into your uterus.

IVF is used to treat infertile couples who fail to conceive naturally. It involves several blood tests, ultrasound examinations, physical examinations. Besides it involves considerable expense as well.

In addition, it is important to note that twin pregnancies are not easy. They are associated with more risks to the mother as well as the babies.

The mother has a higher chances of developing complications such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, preterm labor, caesarian section delivery. The babies may suffer from intrauterine growth retardation, low birth weight, prematurity.

In my opinion, having a healthy baby is of prime importance- single baby or twins is secondary. I would advise you to try and conceive naturally.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor