Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive, irregular periods. Having low back pain, uterus area is tender. Blood work normal. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 2991 Questions
Hi. My husband and I have been trying to conceive our fourth child for a couple years now, but my periods have become increasing in the time between. I have had off and on lower back pain which radiates to one hip, at times my uterus or around there feels bloated and tender, and at times intercourse is painful in certain positions. All of my blood work comes back fine from my OBGYN and my annual came back normal, but I'm still having these odd symptoms. I also have been losing more hair than usual and have little red bumps all over my scalp and occasional dandruff. Are these related? What is causing this? And do I need to get a second opinion? I have had no ultrasound done, but am wondering if I should? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

In my opinion you may have PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome) because you have irregular periods, uterus is bloated and tender, loosing hair and difficulty in conception, all are the symptoms of PCOS.

In PCOS mostly cycles are anovulatory(ovulation does not occur) so menstruation also does not occur. These symptoms may be due to hormonal disturbances which occur in PCOS.

You should consult a gynecologist and get your blood test, hormonal profile and ultrasonography done to rule out the disease.

Hair fall, red bumps and dandruff may be because of fungal infection because in hormonal changes chances of fungal infection are high.

Hope I have answered your query, If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive, irregular periods. Having low back pain, uterus area is tender. Blood work normal. Treatment? 2 hours later
What if I have gone to my gynecologist 3 times in the last year and a half and they keep telling me that I am healthy after blood tests and exams? Other than the irregular periods, they say everything is fine and then want to put me on medicine, but haven't diagnosed me with anything. I don't know if I just need to get a second opinion or do I need to tell them what type of testing I need done?

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

In my opinion you should go for a second opinion and specific hormonal test done for PCOS and ultrasonography to see follicle in ovary.

Sometimes the test are not sufficient to diagnose PCOS but irregular period should be regularized by medication. You should go for thyroid profile also.

Hope, I have answered your query if any further question just let me know I am happy to answer it.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor