Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive, have clogged tube. Prescribed clomiphene and metformin but metformin is for diabetes. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 206 Questions
hi my name is XXXXXXX i have a 7 year old child and now me and my newlywed husband are trying to conceive i have one clogged tube therefore it decreases my chances i went to see a doctor and she prescribed me clomiphene 50mg and metformin 500mg but i was wondering why did she prescribe me metformin if its for people with diabetes im confused and need an answer cuz weve been trying for over a year now and nothing has happenned????
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 35 minutes later
Hi, welcome to healthcare magic.

Your tube was blocked most probably because of the previous surgery.

Metformin is used in cases of polycystic ovary syndrome, and in cases resistant to clomiphene, so mabe the doctor uses it to induce better ovulation.

There are many missing data that will make me able to help you:
Your weight and height.
Your medical history.
Your hysterosalpingiography.
Your husband's recent semen analysis.
Your day 2 FSH, LH, TSH and prolactin.
Your previous medications and your response on them.
Your ultrasound picture.

If you send me these data I can answer all your questions and discuss with you the options of treatment.

I hope I have answered your query and I am waiting to know the results.

I wish you good luck and getting pregnant soon.

Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor