Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Undergone follicular study. Trans-vaginal ultrasound done. Am I pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
i am trying to conceive from past five months. My doctor has advised me to get follecular study done to understand whether i am ovulating or not. we started tracking this from 12th day. There was no growth on 12th and 15th day. and on the 21st day the the endomet thickness was 9.7 and left ovarian follicle was 20.9 X 19.7 mm. Doctor gave me an injection of HCG 5000 on the same day and advised me to have intercourse on the same say and after after. And advised me to get a transvaginal ultrasound done on 23rd day. i did followed the instruction, In the 23rd day scanning, the follicle was regressed in size, 9.8 X8.2 mm with free fluid seen in POD (Ovulatery cycle). We did had IC on that day too. On 32nd day, i got a Beta BCG (blood test) done and the Value is 23.3 mlU/ml. Now, i want to know, whether i am pregnant or is this the traces of teh HCG injection provided to me?? Shall i repeat the test tomorrow or day after and check whether HCG level is increasing or decreasing. i presume, if this level decrease,it was the traces left out and if the level increase, i am pregnant?? Could you please help me, is this the right way to conclude. thanks
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The beta HCG level at 23.3 mIU 10 days after ovulation is likely to be due to pregnancy. This is less likely to be due to the injection of HCG that was given to you for follicle rupture. the best way to know is to get the repeat test of serum beta HCG done 48 hours after the previous test. The value of HCG should double in 48 hours if it is a viable pregnancy.
An ultrasound scan may also detect a small gestational sac in the uterus by now. You can consult your gynecologist for the same.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor