Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Treated for scabies. Have rashes on vagina with smelly vaginal discharge. Cure?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12683 Questions
I have these rashes on my vagina and constant smelly vaginal discharge for years now. Each time I go to the doctor or sex health clinic, I'm told I have thrush or scabies. I am given treatment and a few days later it's back. It's frustrating because I've been trying to conceive for a year now and I feel I can't because of these.
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Having treatment many times without being relieved of heavy discharge and rashes is distressing. Such nfections if not treated vigorously are notorious for recurrence. A common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner which keeps on reinfecting the female partner repeatedly.
A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
Your husband also needs to be treated simultaneously with oral antibiotics to take care of the infection you are having.
It is also important to keep your private parts scrupulously clean. Trimming your pubic hair, not using any soap to wash your vagina and keeping the area clean and dry will help.
Such vaginal infections can delay conception thus these need proper treatment under the guidance of your gynecologist after a vaginal swab culture.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Treated for scabies. Have rashes on vagina with smelly vaginal discharge. Cure? 13 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the advice.but like I said in my first query,I've been to doctors and done the vaginal swap.whatever treatment I'm given only lasts a few days then it's husband receives treatment each time I do.But I will follow your advice. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A vaginal swab culture will help in choosing the best antibiotic for your problem.
You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Treated for scabies. Have rashes on vagina with smelly vaginal discharge. Cure? 5 minutes later
Tampons dipped in yoghurt? What does it do? And what kind of yoghurt? So grateful for your help. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Tampoons dipped in yoghurt ( That is used in kitchen) will help in maintaining the normal acidic pH and vaginal flora which will help in preventing recurrent infections in the area.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please do recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor