Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Suggested to go for ICSI. How to increase sperm count?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
Is there anyway to increase the sperm count ... I did four testing ..12.03.2013 ..result was 9.1 million/ml...17.03.2013 was 10 million ...06th April 2013 5 million and 10th april 3 million .

All the reports i have enclosed in my reports section ..even the doppler reports for varicocele says its there and other says its not there or there on right side .

Doctor suggested me to gor ICSI ..since we trying to conceive from last one year i guess so..but not frequently .Sir is there no chance of improving the sperm count in near future..i have stopped smoking from one month and i am slightly obese ..and last year in feb i had undergone circumcision.

Please advise me .
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
The sperm counts can improve by quitting smoking and alcohol.
Keep your scrotum cool by wearin loose underclothing and pour water as necessary.
If varicocele is confirmed get it tied surgically.
You can take preparations containing ubiquinone and lycopene to improve the count.Some destressing is required.
If your wife is young and has her tests normal you can wait before ICSI.
Increase the coital freq to atleast one every <72 hrs.
You should do FSH LH Prolactin and Testosterone levels and see an Andrologist(Urologist).
ensure that your blood sugar is normal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Suggested to go for ICSI. How to increase sperm count? 3 hours later
Hello Doctor ,Jai Jinender

1.I had been to an urologist he said that he is not confirmed whether varicocele is there or not seeing the reports and also he is not confirm whether that will help or not .The first varicocele report is taken at bangalore (were they told its grade 3 bilateral varicocele) ,but in coimbatore when i visited an urologist he asked me to do one more doppler ..but report said as in reports attached.

2.Madam you said me to take some preparations of ubiquinone and lycopene ..what exactly that means and where can i get this .And destressing means ..not taking tension it.

3.Madam both doctors i had visited said my wife looks perfect .Didnt do any test ..but looking they said ..Since my semen report were low.

4.Madam you asked me to do FSH LH Prolaction and testosterone levels done ..are they some kind of test ..and since i already visited an urologist and he didnt suggested anything like that .Should i go myself and ask for the test to be performed in some labs ..Is it possible.What type of tests are this madam .

5.And i dont have diabetes madam ..and none of my parents have or had .

Madam i am very much confuse with this reports ..Each time they are getting downwards and doctors also not sure.Please help me and give your advise ..Here doctor is saying its not confirmed that the sperm count will increase from such a low count .Is that correct madam since my age is 30 years ..we wanted to conceive soon .

Madam please help me in this .Waiting for your useful help.


Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 26 hours later
1.You may take one more opinion from Urologist to decide on the need of surgery for varicocele.
2,You may try Fertisure M or Ubiactive. yes avoid stress.
3.Please do ovulation study for your wife. This is known as follicular study done in Radiology dept.
4.Yes these are blood tests and you may discuss them with your Urologist.
You may also try PCT (post coital test)which can be done by a Gynaecologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Suggested to go for ICSI. How to increase sperm count? 43 minutes later
Hello Doctor ,Thanks for the reply .

1.Madam whether fertisure M and Ubiactive are tablets ..Since i am already taking oligocare tablets ..should i take your tablet including this .When to take this tablet madam.

2.Madam cant i go and ask for test for myself ..and show you the reports .Since the two urologist whom i visited said that its better to go for ICSI with such a low count .

3. Madam is there any disadvantage of going for ICSI ..any syndrome which i read over internet ...are they true madam .

4. And madam one more thing during intercourse wifes gets load of mucus which usually comes out is normal .

Hope to receive your useful reply .

Thank You

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 37 hours later
If you are already on medications you continue the same only.
ICSI has no major problems and is safe to do, but try IUI for few cycles before you plan ICSI.
Its normal to see discharge coming out after coitus and dont worry about it.
Your reports will better be seen by Urologist.
Please do and show them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor