Trying to conceive. Stopped taking birth control. HPT negative. Reason for delayed period?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hello, I'm a 42 year old female, and me amd my friend are trying to conceive. I came off Birth Control in July of 2012. We have been trying for several months now. Could you please tell us what we need to do. We don't have intercourse every day, we only have it twice a week, and we try to have it around the time I ovulate. My last cycle date was 19th Nov 2012, I have taken three HPT ( one on 24th Dec and two on the 1st Jan) My expected cycle date was suppose to be on 16th of Dec and the 12th of XXXXXXX and I haven't had it yet. Could you advice me on what I need to do next.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.I have gone through your history in detail.

Your clinical presentation suggests that possibly you are suffering from delayed period. You are in peri-menopausal age gr (42 yrs) and here, cycle may be irregular without ovulation but it varies women to women. Pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sex. First of all, you need to rule out pregnancy by any of the following.
1) A blood test for Beta-HCG 2)Ultrasound scan for pelvis to rule out intrauterine pregnancy.

Other reasons for delayed period include ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit,thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss, etc. The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, thyroid profile, Blood sugar(PPBS) etc.

In this scenario, a gynecologist can help you in guide through the tests after a physical examination. So please consult with him/her if you get negative pregnancy test again.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan