Trying to conceive. Having painful ovulation. Ultrasound showed cyst. What are the complication?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hi, I am 30year old female trying to conceive for 7 months. Have 2 sons and had 2 miscarriages. For the past year I have been having painful ovulation. Pain is like burning in my lower right abdomen. I have had pelvic ultrasound to rule out cysts. The pain goes down my right leg and is very uncomfortable and lasts a few days. I am on referral for gynae appt but waiting list is over a year. Can you offer any advice?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Ovulation may cause some pain but not to the extent that you are describing.Its important to rule out PID and nerve pain first.Since you already give history of lumbar disc prolapse,the pain may originate from one of the affected nerve roots. Sciatica is also important to rule out.
Apart from that,since you have children and conception is a problem now, you have what we term as secondary infertility. Ovulation isnt a problem here,it seems but what we need to do is rule out tubal block. Get an HSG done if possible,and if it shows that both tubes are patent then the next step would be some basic blood tests and a semen analysis. If all these are normal,then ovulation induction can be done with the help of medicines. Meanwhile,dont stop trying. If you have a regular cycle, then your most fertile days would be between day 11-21.Try XXXXXXX during this time. See your neurologist also.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
thank you for your reply

Can I ask how would i know if nerve pain is causing this pain at ovulation? Is there a way to confirm this? My GP thinks it may be endometriosis and that is why I am on referral to see a gynae. As I said in original post I am on the waiting list and was told I won't get an appointment this year so I am looking into paying privately and want to go to appointment with as much questions/requests for tests that I can.

thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Yes,endometriosis is a possibility but the pain is cyclical.Not only during ovulation.A neurological examination will differentiate the type of pain since you have prior disc prolapse. The best way to diagnose endometriosis is by a diagnostic laproscopy so make sure that all other possible causes are ruled out first. Ultimately you will need a whole load of investigations. You need to make sure that want another pregnancy and need to be sure to mention that to your doctor.Sometimes infertility is associated to endometriosis and depending on the severity,radical management can be suggested.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Thanks again. 1 final question please. Would I need a neurologist to confirm if it is nerve pain or is there another way?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later
Gp can diagnose it also. But since you have relevant history, i suggested a neurologist. But you can def see your gp first.