Trying to conceive. Have PMS and pain in ovary. Is it safe to use pre-seed lubricant?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hello Doctor.
Im 30, and tring to conceive for 6 cycles now. The problem is im in a long distance relationship, so we track my fertile days. I have 25/26 days cycles. I have PMS too.
I usually have positive ovulation tests at either day 10 or day 11 and feel a little pain on my right ovary (alwys right side) the following day. Actually, i used to feel my ovulation when i was younger, and it stopped for years. But since i had issues with functional cysts in august and september, i think i feel my ovulation again and the pain is pretty higher than before.
However, with all this information, i still havent been pregnant. During my last 2 cycles, i felt crampings like periods starting 7 days after ovulation till my periods. I havent had that before and this cycle that we didnt try, i didnt have crampings. My friend told me maybe it was a missed implantation even with a negative test. Can this be true?

When exactly should we have intercourses? Right now i focus more on the day with a positive ovulation test and the day after. Does it matter if it is at night or morning? We started using pre-seed lubricant last cycle. Is it safe? What can i do to improve our chances considering the distance?

Thank you very much
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
If you have ovulation generally around day 10/11.then you fertile days would be between day 9-16.You should try intercourse during these days and the time of day doesnt matter. Now whether ovulation is occurring properly and adequately needs to be confirmed. Functional cysts dont matter.Forget about them. You need to be monitored with the help of folliculometry to determine whether ovulation is occurring normally.It helps to see if the size of the follicle is increasing properly.You may need the help of drugs for better induction otherwise. You can use lubricant,no problem.
Considering the long distance you need to mange the time effectively. Otherwise you should go for intrauterine insemination. Also you should get a HSG done to rule out the possibility of any tubal blockage.Ideally a semen analysis of your partner is also recommended.
Right now,i would suggest you get that HSG done and if clear,continue folliculometry so that the ovulation can be tracked.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor. I didnt know about the HSG test. Looks like it is painful thought. I need to check with my family doctor if she wants to refer me for that test then.

This cycle we didnt try during my fertile dys as i wanted to check a phenomenon i start having during my 2 previous cycles we tied. What happened is that 7 days after my ovulation, i would start getting cramps that feel like my periods are coming. Sometimes i also have lowe back pain. This last till my actual period arrive. However, i dint have that at all this cycle we didnt try.
So my question is, do you think this might be a failed implantation of a sterilized egg? I havent had a positive pregnancy test though.

Thank you Doctor
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Pre menstrual tension can present in various ways.I doubt that its a failed implantation as thats would have shown some spotting as well. There cannot be a failed implantation with every cycle. Low back pain may be associated with ovulation as well,though mild. If there is failed implantation, the pain wont last more than a day.
HSG is basically an xray to see that the tubes are patent.Without clear tubes, the eggs wont find its way to the uterus. If thats clear,then the next step would be to make sure that ovulation is occurring properly by ultrasound.