Trying to conceive. Had cortisone due to back pain. Will this interfere with ovulation?

Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: I have been trying to get pregnant for many years. Today I had a cortisone shot on my left upper back due to pain. I have never had one before. Today is the 2nd day of my mentrual period. Will the cortisone shots interfere with ovulation? Will they cause mentrual irregularities? What are the most common side effects? Should I try to conceive this month or do I need to wait till cortisone shot wears off? and How long does it stay in the body? thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Cortisone is a hormone present in the body. In my opinion the local injection of cortisone does not interfere much with ovulation nor cause menstrual irregularity.

The side effects are flaring of infection and blood sugar in diabetics. Generally, cortisone injections are used with caution in people with diabetes and avoided in people with active infections. Cortisone injections are used cautiously in people with a bleeding disorder. Long-term risks of corticosteroid injections depend on the dose and frequency of the injections. With higher doses and frequent administration, potential side effects include thinning of the skin, easy bruising, weight gain, puffiness of the face, acne (steroid acne), elevation of blood pressure, etc.

The half life of cortisone is less than 24 hours so it does not stay in body after 24 hrs. Therefore in my opinion you can try conceiving in this cycle in liaison with your local doctor. Also if possible try to avoid further cortisone therapy. Take folic acid 5 mg per day as you are planning.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 13 hours later
Thank you very much for the reply. For how long will I have relief after cortisone shot? How long does the pain relief last? After just one shot, will i experience any side effects? It has been 24 hours already. I got it on 12/18/2012 at 8:30am. When you stated that the "half life" is 24 hours, does it mean that the pain releif will end after 24 hours? and I am not diabetic but Ihave hypothyroid which is controlled with medicine, do I have any additional risks pr additional side effects due to the fact that I have hyporthyroid. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 11 hours later

Regarding pain relief, your doctor is a better person to answer as I am a Gynecologist and I do not use this for pain relief in my field. When I mentioned half life it means the duration the medicine will effectively stay in your body, after that it is metabolized and excreted out. Hypothyroid per se do not cause any additional side effect. After one shot I do not think it will cause much side effect.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E