Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Trying to conceive. Got delayed period. Found large follicle in ovary. Can I expect ovulation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
My wife has largest follicle 14.5 mm in left ovary and 7 mm endomet thickness on day 21. POD clear. She usually has a 30 day cycle but last month her period was 14 days late. No ovulation has occured so far is it possible for ovulation to happen in this cycle still ? and if yes when to expect ? We have been quite worried about this as trying for over a year ( both 30 yrs old ) please advise.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The follicle usually ruptures after it reaches a mature size of around 18-20MM. After day 21, it is less likely to grow further but if it grows, an ovulation can be expected after 3-4 days. You can check this by checking for LH surge in her using using a urine test kit available in the market.
The LH surge is usually associated with ovulation in next 24 hours and helps you in planning your relations accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. RakhiTayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Got delayed period. Found large follicle in ovary. Can I expect ovulation? 4 minutes later
Dear Doctor ,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please advise if it is usual for no ovulation to happen in a particular cycle ? Or is this indicative of some problem that we need to address. Please advise on the way forward for us and if there is anything we should be worried about.

Also why is that her last period was 14 days late ?

Thanks again .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Anovulatory cycles are commonly associated with polycystic ovaries or hormonal imbalance. This is also associated with a delay in periods like your wife had in her previous cycle. You should consult an infertility specialist for ovulation induction treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor