Trying to conceive. Experiencing pulsating feeling in my lower abdomen. Reason?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I am a 22 year old Indian woman, married for the past 20 months.
We have started trying to conceive during my present cycle. Since my last few cycles have been quite irregular, we started trying from the 14th till the 26th day (of the current cycle) with an interval of 36 hours between intercourse. Today is the 28th day.
Since yesterday, I have started to experience a pulsating feeling in my lower abdomen region on the middle and the left side. I feel dizzy and sometimes cramps in my legs during the day time. At times, I feel some pain in my breasts (not areola or nipples).
By the way, I was diagnosed about two months ago with PCO in my right ovary - it showed up in a TVS ultrasound.
Please advise.
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 44 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, the symptoms you have described, indicates possibility of pregnancy. But these are very vague symptoms. As, you have a history of PCOS and irregular menstruation, it cannot be said with guarantee that you are pregnant. For this you have to do some investigations.

So, to confirm the situation, just do a home pregnancy test using urine. But the test should be done on or after 28th day of menstrual cycle. So, calculation of the days is very important. Count the first day of bleeding of the last period as the day one.

But gold standard investigation is transvaginal ultrasound scan.

Now, for your information, you have to try for pregnancy, between 10th to 18th days of your menstrual cycle, when your normal menstrual cycle is of 28 days.

So, you have to do a home pregnancy test. If the result is positive, consult with a gynecologist for further management.

Hope this information is suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.