• question-icon

Trying to conceive. Can I go for a mammogram?

Posted on Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 42 and trying to conceive and according to my calculations I will be ovulating on or about the 11th (tomorrow). I have never had a mammogram. Should I have one now? If I do not get pregnant this month when should I schedule the appointment?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

As you have not conceived yet, you can go for a mammogram now.
As the incidence of breast cancer is getting increased in pregnancy and as your age is above 40 better to undergo mammogram now.
The dose of exposed radiation will be low and shield will be applied to abdomen so it may not cause any harm to reproductive organs.
If you do not get pregnancy in this month and want to postpone the mammogram for next month better to undergo mammogram in the first week of next menstrual cycle.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN