Trying to conceive. Asked to decrease dose of thyronorm. Gained weight and hair loss. What to do?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I have a Thyroid condition and have been taking Thyronorm 50mcg for the past 3 years. My TSH levels became low and since I am trying to conceive my gynaec suggested to alternate Thyronorm 50 and 25mcg. Also I'm on Folic acid and Calcium supplements. Since the alteration of 50 and 25mcg i have noticed and increase in weight and hair loss. Should I switch to Keraglo XXXXXXX untill I conceive? XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Check a fresh thyroid status and let us know. Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm, Hi! you have not mentioned your TSH/ FT4 values. alternate day of different doses is not a good idea. since when have you been on this alternate day regimen? please get a fresh thyroid profile as TSH / FT4 and let me know. Still, what I get from your status so far is that thyroid is not creating much of a problem in conception, it was well balanced earlier with thyronorm 50 mcg. you must ask your gynec to look for other causes for difficulty in conception. what is that Keraglo XXXXXXX I don't know about it. Sorry!