• question-icon

    Trying for baby. Took Siphene and inj HUMOG. Got Methotrexate injection after a positive pregnancy. Use of the medicine?

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello doctor,
We have been trying for baby for last 1.5 years. After consulting with doctors, took Siphene 50 and inj HUMOG 150 iu for about 6 cycles in last one year.
Cycle which started on 25-Jan-2013, i didn't take any medicine and on 4-Mar urine test confirmed pregnancy. After that doctor asked to go for Beta HCG test, which came 1435. On 6-Mar HCG level was 3430.
On 9-Mar I went for scanning and scanner told that it's a tubal pregnancy and we should consult with doctor immediately. HCG level on 9-Mar was 5830.
On 9-Mar itself inj Methotrexate was given and i was told to go for Beta HCG test on 13-Mar.
Today (13-Mar) HCG level is 9935, which has increased further but after injection we were expecting it to come down.
Please advise what happens normally is such cases. Can it be treated with medicine or i might need to be operated?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Tubal pregnancy is a serious medical condition and may be life-threatening if it remains untreated. Abnormal rise of of beta-HCG is predominant feature of ectopic pregnancy.

Tubal pregnancy can be treated either medically or surgically. These are as follows:

MEDICAL TREATMENT- It can be effectively treated with methotrexate (first line drug of choice) in following condition only:
1) Blood beta-HCG level less than 5000 mIU/ ml. 2) Embryo with no cardiac activity 3) Ectopic mass size less than 3.5 cm.

SURGICAL TREATMENT- It is the ideal choice whether beta-HCG level does not come down after medical treatment or you are presenting with severe abdominal pain / vaginal bleeding. Tubal pregnancy can be removed by laparoscopic surgery or by laparotomy procedure.

Generally two types of surgery is done- 1) Salpingostomy- here one slit is made on fallopian tube to remove the ectopic mass. Here, fallopian tube is preserved.
2) Salpingectomy- removing of a section of fallopian tube including ectopic mass.

You may need to take methotrexate injection following surgery in resistance case of ectopic pregnancy. In such case, beta-HCG level is also to be estimated.

In conclusion, your blood beta-HCG level on 13th March is 9935 mIU/ml and it is quite high enough. Therefore, medical treatment is not preferable in your case as there is gradual rising of beta-HCG in spite of use methotrexate injection. Surgical treatment is ideal in this case.

So, please consult with your gynecologist at the earliest to assess current status of your condition by complete physical/ pelvic examination and to make decision whether urgent surgery is needed or not.

But, you must be aware of some alarming symptoms like vaginal bleeding or severe lower abdominal pain/ vomiting, high pulse rate etc. In such case, immediate hospitalization is mandatory to perform the surgery to save your life.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Laparoscopic surgery

doctor1 MD

I am 5 weeks out from total laparoscopic hysterectomy. My breakthroughs have been minimal the last week. My dr said I could start exercising...

doctor1 MD

Hey! I am writing because I had laparoscopic surgery the 25th of February to remove endometriosis and cyst. I started my period two days later,...

doctor1 MD

I woke up with a an itchy red raised rash all over my abdomen and back and it is moving down my arms and legs. I had laparoscopic surgery to remove...

doctor1 MD

I had laparoscopic surgery to remove endometriosis on 3/4/14, since the surgery, I have it received my menstrual cycle. I completed a 10 day course...

doctor1 MD

I did ultrasound , doctor found few cholesterol polyps in gallbladder and fatty acids in liver . So as per him it is not dangerous. Only thing I...

doctor1 MD

Hello, my 18 year old daughter has been having HORRIBLE female problems. Within the last year she has been on Deproprevara, exploratory...

doctor1 MD

What is the surgery for gallbladder removal like these days?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

137 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. S Patra
  • Q - History of anxiety. Why am I feeling lightheaded, heart palpitation and...

  • Q - Got pimples on the penis after having protected sex. STD?

  • Q - Had unprotected sex after miscarriage. Started bleeding. Could I be...

  • Q - Suggested laproscopy surgery for ovarian cyst. Is this the safe way to...

  • Q - Would a sonographer know if my lmp had been implantation?

  • Q - STD test done. What are the findings? Should I be worried for hep c...

  • Q - Mild abnormalities inside cervix and slight abnormal pap smear with HPV...

  • Q - Missing period, feeling constipated with clear vaginal discharge. HPT...

  • Q - Abdominal pain with vaginal discharge. Feeling nausea. HPT negative. Any...

  • Q - Large circular red area with a bump above penis. Could it be clamydia or...