Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Trying for a child. Getting irregular period. What should I do to get pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15015 Questions
trying for a babyhello im 21 years old im 5,6 and i weight 16 stone me and my patner have been trying for a baby for the last few month but i have just had my period a week ago today but it wasnt a normal one, i wasnt bleeding all the time just when i went for a wee and i coughed so im just wondering if you could give any help on trying for a baby or why my period wasng normal.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A couple is not said to have fertility issues till at least one year has passed since they have been trying to conceive.
Reproduction requires the following to occur (1) release of a normal oocyte (female egg) (2) production of adequate sperm (3) transport of the oocyte and sperm to the part of the tube where fertilisation occurs (4) transport of the embryo into the uterus for implantation and development.
Problems in any of these areas can affect fertility.

In males semen analysis is done to check the adequacy of the sperm.

In females, it can be related to the cervix, uterus,ovary, tubes.
In terms of the cervix, there may be blockage or problems with the mucus.
In terms of the uterus- there may be abnormalities in the structure of the uterus or growths such as fibroids.An ultrasound would demonstrate any abnormalities.

In the ovaries, there may be problems with the release of the egg. This is usually related to hormonal problems. The most common hormonal cause of infertility is polycystic ovarian syndrome. This syndrome consists of infertility, irregular periods, abnormal hair growth (on face, chest or abdomen), acne (due to high levels of testosterone), cystic ovaries which are identified on ultrasound and insulin resistance. It is diagnosed by blood tests and ultrasound.It is treated by lifestyle measures and medication. The lifestyle measures consist predominantly of weight loss because the weight contributes to the condition and often fertility is treated by this alone.
In the tubes there may be blockage, this is identified by a test called HSG. This is an xray that looks at the tube. Some types of blockage can be repaired.

If your period wasn't normal, you may want to consider performing a pregnancy test to determine if you are pregnant. It would be best to use an early detection kit.

If it is negative, you can consider consulting your doctor if after a yr of trying you and your partner still have not conceived. A doctor will not investigate prior to a year.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying for a child. Getting irregular period. What should I do to get pregnant? 11 minutes later
thank u for writing back but i have took 3 tests and they come back negative but 2 week before that i had a really sore nipple and it was bleeding but not loads just like a little cut type.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 hours later
hi, there are a number of different tests that can be done looking at varied aspects of fertility, which test did you have?
Some women can have dermatitis like rash of the nippple.

Feel free to ask any other questions or make comments
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Trying for a child. Getting irregular period. What should I do to get pregnant? 13 hours later
i cant remember the name of the rest i usted, but it was only like a pound one?! but it just likr worrying coz i didnt have a proper period
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
First you can consider doing a pregnancy test to determine if you are pregnant.
If this is negative then the other causes of an abnormal period can be considered such as hormonal imbalance, physical or emotional stress,inadequate nutrition.
If the pregnancy test is negative then you can consider visiting your doctor for an assessment to determine which of these resulted in the abnormal period.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor