Treatment for wheezing cough, shortness of breath and metallic taste in mouth?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my wife has a "wheezing cough" and then has a metallic taste in her mouth and short of breath.. thanks
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query, on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife seems to be having wheezing cough and shortness of breath.

2. I would like to know a few details:
a. For how long are the symptoms present ?
b. Does she have allergic symptoms like running nose, recurrent cold/ sneezing, allergy to dust/ perfumes?
c. Doaes anyone else in the family have similar complaints?
d. Has she been evaluated by a chest physician/ pulmonologist before for this?
e. Has she taken any medications for the same, including inhalers?
f. Does she have burning pain in abdomen?
g. Are these symptoms seasonal i.e. occuring more in cloudy or winter climate?

Please do let me know the details so as to answer accordingly.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 26 minutes later
Hi yes I can answer most of questions about my history:
A) I first noticed this cough about 2 years ago while being pregnant. But it only occurred once in a while, not chronic. Then it recently
Flared up again. We are in a rental house and every time I walked
Through garage I felt like my lungs were irritated. I also had a cough and cold about
2 weeks ago. I noticed the same XXXXXXX cough after someone was burning candles.

B)no allergy symptoms except the irritation in back of throat.
But I feel like cold weather, dust, mold maybe, and candles burning
Potpourri and the dryer irritate my breathing a bit.

C)no but I have 3 young kids so they wouldn't be able to tell me much. My oldest
Is asthmatic and he has been fine and almost symptom free this year.
D)never seen by pulmonologist but I did see an XXXXXXX med dr last week. They told me to take Claritin and see what happens.
E) I am currently on no meds
F) no burning pain in abdomen
G) I think it may be more prevalent in fall and winter, but I am not sure i haven't tracked it. I would say this is the first month this situation has been this bad. I have that winded feeling in back if throat like if you run a race. I never had that feeling before. I also feel like there is dust or fuzz in back of throat and it only feels better if I eat or drink.
Thanks for the follow up info. After going through the follow up info, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from bronchial asthma.

2. You need to get yourself evaluated by a Chest Physician/ Pulmonologist.

3. Investigations that are required are Xray chest, Pulmonary function test, blood absolute eosinophil count and Serum IgE levels.

4. Based on the investigations, your treatment will have to be titrated and will consist of inhalers, oral medications (antibiotics, bronchodilators).

5. Also dust avoidance is very important.

6. Yearly flu vaccination and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccination will definitely help you.

7. Thus you are advised to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail as advised above.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 18 hours later
Thanks. This was very helpful I am seeing pulmonologist Monday. I have a couple of follow up questions:
1) how does bronchial asthma differ from regular asthma and can environmental triggers like smelling cleaning supplies etc trigger it?
2) how do I ensure there is no mold in my lungs? The rental house has a musty wet dirty smell in garage and basement and I just want to make sure I am not missing a mold issue in my lungs.
3) when I cough really hard I notice a mineral taste? What is causing that?
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query. After going through the follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. There is nothing like regular asthma. Its one and the same and is called bronchial asthma. A short episode of lower acute bronchitis. Yes environmental triggers like strong odour can exacerbate symptoms in asthma.

2. An evaluation by a pulmonologist will rule out any mold involvement of the lungs. In asthma there is a condition like ABPA (Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis) which needs to be ruled out in presence of specific clinical features. Regarding mold exposure, you need to prevent dampness in the surroundings as molds thrive on dampness. Get the leaked walls filled up and do get walls painted and white washed at regular intervals. Also you need to avoid the dust exposure during such cleaning procedures.

3. Sometimes associated dyspepsia or acidity causes a mineral test or sputum production may lead to such features. A clinical evaluation will lead us to the exact diagnosis.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist