Treatment for swollen, red and painful eye?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: eyes red painfull been like this for three days .both my eyes r red n hurt very badly all around and n back of my eye balls sore very pain full. they r dripping n running and green goop when I wake up my eyes r sealed close with it. my daughter had pink eye a month ago but nothing like this. I been using her medical now for two days n no better. wat do I have plz help me.
my friend has eye problem similar for months n won't go to doctors could I have dought this from her. it's weird cuz here kids never cought wat ever she has . I font share make up
also my son is 19 n one of his eyes is swollen on bottom under eye n eye lid or skin on bottom is red. he says its very painful.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
My dear,
thanks for sending your query to us.
What you seem to have is conjunctivitis.That is a inflammation of the outermost layer of eye.
Wash your eyes frequently with plain water,put antibiotic eye drops frequently in the day time and apply anti biotic eye ointment at bed time and it is supposed to take a couple of days for you to get better.
You can have a pain killer for a day or to two if there is much of discomfort.
Since this is a infection which is transmitted by contact you have to get it from some infected person.
Your son seems to have a localised infection at the lid margin and will require hot fomentation, antibiotics orally and anti inflammatory tablets.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.