Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Treatment for seizures due to infarct in child's brain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
My nephew is 3 months old and we got an MRI scan done today for his brain. We were informed that there is an infract on his right side of brain. I am attaching the report that we received. Jjj When he was 3 days old he got his first seizures. The reason detected was deficiency of Calcium. Few days later he again had seizures because of deficiency of sugar. He was moved to better hospital and later that day he faced his third seizures due to deficiency of sodium. Once he recovered we were suggested to get the brain MRI scan done. I would like to request you to look at the report and let me know if there is any treatment available that we can try. Also I would like to know how these test results will affect my nepher in long term. Please let me know if more details are needed
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: I think he needs to be investigated... Detailed Answer: Hi, I went through the detailed history and MRI reports. Well, it is not very uncommon to see infants getting seizure, however it is definitely uncommon to find ischemic infarcts in this age. Further recurring nutritional deficiency is also concerning. There are various medicines available to control and prevent seizures. We can safely try many of those medicines here. However I feel he needs to be investigated further - to isolate the cause of early ischemic infarcts and recurring nutritional deficiency. You need to consult a pediatrician + neurologist for combined evaluation. I wish you good luck... Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor