Treatment for repeated sinus, dizziness, fuzzy head, vomiting and sickness?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Diary of Symptoms – XXXXXXX
20 years ago started with Labrinthitus – recurrent a couple of times a year progressing to more regular – given serc when symptoms occurred – could be extreme floor hugging!
Approximately 12 years ago had problems with dizziness/fuzzy head, pain through limbs (arms particularly and back). Had blood tests no obvious results – doctor referred to Chiropractor who said neck vertebrae were locked. Several sessions but symptoms settled down.
8 years ago had virus (flu type symptoms + as para 2 above) following a stressful period at work completely lost balance – standing up almost impossible – referred to ENT consultant and prescribed initially Prozac by own doctor– which caused reverse from stressed symptoms to very low almost suicidal symptoms) – changed to Efexor Xl. During this time ENT consultant also ran tests including brain scan and reported damaged to ear follicles resulting in loss of balance and locking of neck. Treated with re-balancing exercises and physio for neck problems also given 2 lots of antibiotics for sinusitis. Six months off work due to agitated depression and on-going treatment for balance issues.
Continued to take (Betahistine 8mg) whenever Labrinthitus/Meniere’s symptoms re-occurred. This is ongoing. Continued to see Chiropractor when neck problems occurred including fuzzy head symptoms. Saw natural health consultant who said I had Candida and recommended Candida free diet for 1 month which I did and sinus problems reduced considerably. Currently try to limit dairy products and do not drink any alcohol.
Approx 6 years ago Chiropractor concerned that problem was not being resolved and contacted my doctor recommending referral to consultant. Consultant ran tests including neck/brain scan – unable to ascertain anything attributable to symptoms.
Repeated sinus/dizzy head/feeling of sickness and vomiting occur regularly and in past year bi monthly on average. Treated with Betahisine and seeing Chiropractor. Approx 2 years ago saw doctor following persistant cough and pain between shoulder blades – diagnosed as pleurisy and given antibiotics.
Noticed that following some meals that this is followed immediately by diarrhoea and vomiting – particular foods containing processed tomato (soup etc.) but can occur with different foods. Also food seems to stop at centre of rib cage and a hard long mass can occur from this point downwards on right hand side. This will clear over time (12 hours).
Recent particular issues: given antibiotics for sinusitis Sep 2012, approx. a month later asked for referral to Chiropractor as sinus symptoms + fuzzy head had not cleared and suspected recurrent neck problem – confirmed by Chiropractor. Continued treatment but problems of pain between shoulder blades and down right arm – seem alleviated for short periods but continue to return. Dec 2012 saw doctor due to pain between shoulder blades and cough/cold symptoms – not sure whether to do with neck problem or return of pleurisy. Diagnosed as virus. Throughout last three weeks in December have continued to have sinus pain, dizzy, feeling sick and vomiting. Also pain spread across both right and left shoulder and down right arm. Taking betahistine, in-haling menthol crystals, go to spa facilities to use steam room and jucuzzi, walking for exercise Feeling very tired and fed up with on-going symptoms.
On running symptoms through on-line symptom check possible options are gut disease/gall bladder disease/ulcer – can produce pain behind right shoulder blade and feeling of unwellness including dizzy/vomiting/muzzy head/sinus due to leakage in gut or ulcer leaking into stomach/gut.
Do you think this could be the case and what tests would you recommend me having.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query and an elaborate history.

I will try my best to give you a convincing answer.

First of all, I do not feel you are having labyrinthitis. Labyrinthitis is a group of symptoms which includes dizziness, vomiting/nausea, reduced hearing, tinnitus, abnormal eye movements, etc.

Secondly, there are various other causes of dizziness which has to be thoroughly evaluated. Simple reasons such as sinusitis and gastritis can also cause nausea and dizziness.

Since you have a multiple problems, it requires a team of specialists to look at your problems and arrive at a consensus.

You will require a battery of investigations such as:
1. CT scan of the brain and paranasal sinuses to rule out sinusitis and any craniovertebral junction problems.
2. EEG to look for any conduction abnormalities in the brain.
3. Videonystagmography – helps in identifying the inner ear problems.
4. An OGDscopy for a complete examination of upper digestive tract.

Meanwhile you can try the following measures to get relief from your problems:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, this helps in reducing the nasal congestion and clearing of the mucus.
3. A mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus.
4. Proton pump inhibitors (such as Esomeprazole, Pantoperazole) and prokinetics (Domperidone) are beneficial in reducing the acid production and the reflux.
5. Avoid coffee and chilled food/beverages.

Do not worry! With the above measures you will be definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon