Treatment for pneumonia, coronary artery disease, COPD, mild kidney failure and osteoporosis?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: My father is an indian, Doctor my father aged 74, had a pneuomonia( hospitalised and cured 2010), fell down in 2009 , CT SCAN REVEALED cerbral atrophy left side, ecg left axis deviation, Doctors treatment Enace 10 at night , Dytor 5 mg at 8 am, Angizem CD 120 at 10 : 00 am,and inhalers(Avessa & Combimist) 3 times daily, PAN 40 MRNING DAILY. His sweeling has reduced now, BP at present 140/80.

Na 134 K -5 , Hb 10.5 , Crarinine 1.9 , Slight albumin in Urine. Lipid Normal , Thyroid Normal after taking dytor 5 ESR is 40 1 hr.

His past history is smoking, skin sometimes gets redish patches if presssed, leg muscles are weak. . after consulting with nephrologist and cardiologist general medicine doctor has decided the combination of medicines as described above now.
He has standing up problem from sitting at bottom , this is extremely diffciult, left lumbar spine weak
From the General geriatic medicine side what medicines to take, the present medicnes how to alter and kidney function keep normal.
He has early parkinsonism.
Please advise medicines , whether bp medicines he is taking are ok in combination? creatinine how to make alright. whether dytor can be taken regularly without affeting eletolyte imbalance? then waht to do?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the details provided, your father has the following probems.

1. Hypertension- high BP,
2. Coronary artery disease- related to heart,
3. COPD- asthma like illness due to smoking,
4. Mild kidney failure- as his creatinine is little elevated,
5. Osteoporosis- as he has back problems, and has difficulty in getting up from squatting position.
6. Mild parkinsonism
7. Mild cerebral strophy- shrinkage of brain.
8. Anemia

As of now, his medications, including BP medications, seem to be correct. Dytor medicine is ok.

For lowering creatinine, control of BP is important. No medications are required.

In addition, he has anemia (low hemoglobin), so, please give him iron supplements such as livogen or fefol.

Please get a bone densitometry (DEXA scan done) to look for osteoporosis (bone weakness). If found, that would also require treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Dr
Thank u,

What about parkinsonism? doest it require any treatment?

How long iron tablets can be given?

How long dytor can be given?

Eletrolyte imbalance and my father fell down in 2009 followed by local neuro doctor
treatment.

Whether for stroke prevention any medication is required?

Tremnil 2 medicne he took for quiet a long period, is it required now?
for mental relaxation and stress removal any natural or allopathy treatments are required?

Earlier he was taking ostocalcium tablet that did't give any good response.

Kindly help me by providing suggestion and suggest name of medicines apart from what he is taking at present. So that treating dr at present can get the necesaary input for his decision.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 42 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details and queries.

1. Parkinsonism does not require treatment till it affects the patients' mobility. If he is having tremors of hands, or stiffness of limbs or slowness of movements, then levodopa may be started.

2. Iron tablets can be given for three months.

3. Dytor tablets can be used for long-term depending on the requirement (as per the cadiologist).

4. No medicines are required for stroke prevention at present.

5. Tremnil 2 is not required now.

6. Meditation and yoga would be useful.

7. Ostocalcium is not required now.

8. As mentioned earlier, the only extra medicine required is iron supplements- livogen or fefol.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 days later
Dr Tahnk U,

My father had been taking livigen as per your advice for the last 15 days under care of Local General Practioner.

Today MY father's BP was 160/80 and the doctor has changed the medicines

MDopa 250 Mg 1-0-1 in place of Enace
Dytor 5 mg 1-0-0 already he was using
Livogen 1-0-0 already he was using.

He has stopped Enace and told to take Mdopa 250 Mg .

Will Mdopa reduce the BP or its a Anti Parkinsonism Medicine?

Dr told due to winter BP will be on the higher side , else there is no problem in general.

Is the line of treatment is correct.

Due to winter sometimes cold comes what antibiotic are to be taken for that ? pl suggest.

Your suggestions will be highly beneficial to us.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Mdopa is a BP medication, and will reduce the BP, it has no effect on parkinsonism.

His line of treatment is correct.

For common cold, no antibiotics are required, as it is most often due to viral infections. If it is due to bacteria, he may take Augmentin antibiotics.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology)