Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Treatment for long-term depression, lack of confidence, and inferiority complex?

Jun 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2496 Questions
Hi I am posting this query for my mother. She is a 61 year lady and I feel she is suffering from depression. I put in lot of efforts to keep her happy but she always thinks negative and is not able to keep herself happy. just for an example: she like dark places. she sits in room with lights switched off. She is lacking confidence and has extreme inferiority complex Just to brief about her history. Since childhood she has been criticized by her step brothers and sister in laws. After marriage , she faced negative criticism from her in laws over minor issues. She lost her first child after 13 days of her birth. Her second child (my sister) is a down syndrome child. The third child is me (a girl) however she was expecting a boy. Now i am everything for her. She look towards me as the sole motto of living. but since i am married now i am not able to put as much efforts as i could do earlier. Though I often bring her to my place and always tries to boost her confidence. my dad somehow couldn't support her or was not proactive in safeguarding her self- respect in front of her in laws. So she is not happy staying with him. she is now so much depressed that whatever my dad do for her, she take it in a negative sense. I don't know how to handle this. Please suggest what can i do to make her happy and boost her confidence. Is there an underlying depression problem ?.....need your help
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She is in depression. Detailed Answer: HI Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this problem. First of all, i would like to tell you about depression. It would help you to understand your mother problem in better way. Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. In Depression, people feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt, or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems may also be present. Most of symptoms are present in your mother. That mean she is in depression. In depression, she needs proper treatment which include antidepressant like escitalpram, sertraline, paroxetine etc and family support. That would help to overcome the underline depressive symptoms and boost her confidence. Along with medicine, life style modification like morning or evening walk, spend time with people whom she likes, spend weekend out of home would help her a lot. For medication, consult a psychiatrist and get her treatment started as soon as possible. Anti-diabetic medication and epilex chrono would remain continue in treatment plan, rest you can consult with psychiatrist. One think, you have to remember, improvement would take time and she needs long treatment. So be patience. In case, you need any help from my side, you can consult me. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Treatment for long-term depression, lack of confidence, and inferiority complex? 17 minutes later
thank you sir for answering my query. I would like to consult further. I stay in Gurgaon. Please let me know if you are based out of NCR so that i can visit your clinic and discuss the problem in detail
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks for your trust on me. I have two attachment in Gurgaon. You can check my profile for details. You can call me to get appointment. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor