Treatment for itchy head, dandruff and hair loss?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: How to get rid of Dandruff in head and prevent my hair loss. I also have severe itching problem on my head.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

With the description you have provided, it seems you could be probably having a case of severe dandruff known as seborrheic dermatitis. In this particular disorder, one gets greasy whitish yellow dandruff flakes along with red irritated itchy scalp.

To treat the same you may try these

1) Use a ketoconazole tar based shampoo (konaz CT etc) every alternate day. Apply it over your scalp and leave it for 5 to10 minutes and then wash your hair
2) Apply antifungal steroid based lotion like candid b lotion over your scalp in night
3) Take an oral anti histaminic like cetirizine if it is too itchy.
4) Do not oily our hair as oiling aggravates dandruff

The hair fall that you are having is due to dandruff, so hair will regrow once dandruff is controlled. However to aid and fasten hair regrowth one can use minoxidil 5 percent solution later on.

As all these are prescription drugs, it is always better to remain under a dermatologist's follow up.

Hope I have answered your query. Should there be more queries, I would be happy to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E