Treatment for eye twitching and irritation?

Posted on Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am experiencing eye twitching (left eye) from past 5 days. Feel slight irritation. Can you please help me on this.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Eye twitching is because of eye irritation. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic I am Dr Dadapeer an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having twitching of left eye associated with eye irritation. Twitching of the eye is caused by spasmodic contractions of orbicularis oculi muscle. The muscle is supplied by facial nerve and the causes for facial nerve irritation leading to twitching of the eyes are reflex stimulation as in irritative eye conditions like dry eyes, exposure of eyes to wind, excessive use of computers or watching television, presence of dust on conjunctiva or cornea, infections and inflammations of structures of eyes.... The non ocular causes leading to irritation of facial nerve are lack of sleep, Ent causes .... Since you have mentioned about presence of eye irritation it can be cause for twitching in your case. Hence I advice you to use artificial tears eye drops for eye irritation. If there is associated redness and discharge from the eyes you also require antibiotic eye drops. Along with the above mentioned eye drops you need to follow the following methods for relief from symptons . Wash the eyes with normal water twice a day. Apply cold compression over closed eye lids. Avoid overuse of computers or television. Adequate sleep and avoid sleepless long working nights. Having a healthy and balanced diet with all the required vitamins. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 7 minutes later
can you suggest any eye drop fot his
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to use artificial tears. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the followup query. I usually treat eye irritation with artificial tear eye drops like Refresh tears eye drops. You can use it for your eye irritation. Along with the XXXXXXX dtoos do follow the methods I had told in my last answer like washing the eyes...... Thank you
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist