Treatment for enlarged prostate

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Men's Health
Question: I have an enlarged prostate. Sometimes I would like to do activities that keep me away from a restroom too long. I wanted to try one of those hydro.. personal catheters to see if I could drain all urine before the activity and not need restroom until much later. I tried inserting one this evening and didn't get to relieve any urine . It hurt about 6" in so I withdrew it and bright red blood started coming out. I pinched off the flow for awhile and it stopped. The next time I urinated, about an hour later, a clot came out, it burned and I had to do the pinch process all over again. What do I do now, anything? Or will it heal on its own eventually?
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can try medicine for benefit Detailed Answer: Hi, You have not mentioned how big your prostate is or what your symptoms are, but I can assure you that there are quite a few medicines to reduce the size of prostate (e.g. Dutasteride) and drugs to help you evacuate urine better (e.g. tamsulosin, available as Flomax and several other brands). I also feel that you should get a urologist's opinion and get a digital rectal examination along with a blood test for Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) done to ensure you do not have malignancy of prostate. They also might ask you to get an ultrasound of your prostate and a uroflowmetry done to assess the kind of problem you have. All the symptoms that are exhibited by people with enlarged prostate are also seen in patients with stricture of urethra. This is a mechanical narrowing of the lumen of urine passage and will prevent passage of catheter as could have been the case with you. This might need an endoscopic procedure as there are no medicines for stricture of urethra. Anyway, self drainage by catheter does not look like much of a solution right now, and I suggest that if you really need to do, it you ensure that you perform it under good urologist's guidance (after he has excluded or treated a stricture of urethra) till you learn the technique. What you have experienced is a classical injury of urethral mucosal lining. Hopefully it will heal without residual sequelae, though development of a stricture of urethra is a significant possibility. Hope I have been able to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 12 minutes later
Thank you. You've been very helpful. Prostate not too enlarged. Only get up once a night. PSA is <2. Will have stricture possibility checked out. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi again, You are welcome. Glad to have been of help. One suggestion though - If you are reasonably comfortable right now and there is no urethral bleed, do not get any tests done for stricture straight away. The reason - you have most likely a classical false passage due to urethral self-instrumentation. Quite often, this heals by itself, but your Urologist might want to see a special radiograph called Retrograde Urethrogram to assess the kind of injury that has been sustained. In the presence of active bleeding in urethra, there could be significant intravasation of contrast XXXXXXX into local pelvic veins and the whole thing could be a mess. So wait till things are relatively normal. I will be quite happy to advise you if you have any further queries in this matter.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Answered by
Dr. V. Sasanka


Practicing since :1995

Answered : 529 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Dutasteride

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with BPH. My prostate is 2X the normal size. I am taking Avodart and Flowmax. I had a hip replacement 3 years ago and am...

doctor1 MD

I have an enlarged prostate. My problem is very often I have to pass urine and causes lot of inconvenience in my day to day work. In the night too...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 58 year old male facing frequent urine problem with pain. my prostate size 16 gram said to be normal, my urologist has now advice me to...

doctor1 MD

I have been noticing blood spots on my underware on and off for several years. I went to a uralogist and he ordered ct and did a cystoscopic exam...

doctor1 MD

Ihave taken flomax for 2yrs. will combining it with dutasteride cause me any more unwanted side effects the flomax does not bother me other than if...

doctor1 MD

I have been urinating blood with sizeable strands of coagulated blood since About 1:30 pm thus afternoon. It is ongoing and always causes me mild...

doctor1 MD

My Father noticed that over last 6 Months or so that when he urinates it seems to have slowed down, as though something was restricting the flow.He...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction