Owl Image

Treatment for dandruff and hair fall?

Owl Image
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Question
I am having issues with my hair. The hairs seem to be very thin and I already have lost much hair. My hair density is very less. I do have dandruff issues. I have tried few dandruff shampoos and the problem is not going off completely. I guess I am not losing much hairs these days but agian its not consistent. Sometimes, I do lose. I would like to know the recommendations for my hair problem
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your hair fall could either be due to your dandruff issues or due to a pattern of baldness known as male pattern baldness where you lose hair from frontal area, temporal area( around temples) and vertex( top or centre of scalp).

To help you out with your problem, I would like to know-

1)If your dandruff is dry fine flaky or you have pale yellow greasy flakes sticking to your hair and scalp.
2)If your scalp is itchy, red with bumpy lesions
3)If you have dryness over your eyelids, nasolabial folds, behind ears.
4) what is the pattern of your hair fall
5) since how long are you having it
6) treatments taken so far.

Uploading an image of concerned area would help in ascertaining your concern.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Follow-up: Treatment for dandruff and hair fall? 2 hours later
Hi Kalpana, Please find below the answers for the questions.

=> My dandruff is mostly dry fine flaky. some are sticking to scalp also. But not greasy.

=>Not itchy and not red.

=> yes, I do see some dryness over my eyelids at times, not always and also dandruff is seen behind ears.

=> MUch hair is lost in temporal area (above temples on both sides)

5) since how long are you having it
=> Facing the dandruff and hair loss for quite some time (in years if I can add). It comes to control sometimes and sometimes not.

6) treatments taken so far.
=>Not much treatments taken as such.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
It seems probably you are having mild seborrheic dermatitis( dandruff) with male pattern baldness. Your hair fall could be contributed to both the factors.
I would suggest few treatment options-
1) to treat dandruff- use ketoconazole or ciclopirox based shampoo. You may also apply an antifungal lotion over your scalp like oxyconazole lotion( Zoderm E) or clotrimazole lotion along with the shampoo for better results.Once the dandruff is controlled, you may stop with lotion and just continue with shampoo. It would take few weeks only.
2) to treat male pattern baldness- you may use minoxidil 5 percent solution along with tablet finesteride. It might take 4 to 6 months before you see good hair growth.

As these all are prescription drugs, it would be in your interest to remain under a dermatologist's follow up.

Hope I have answered your query. Should there be more, I would be happy to assist you.