Treatment for cough, breathing difficulty and chest tightness?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: today i experianced a tight chest, difficulty breathing and a cough for a bout 5 minutes. happened twice today...

any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
A tight chest difficulty in breathing is are commonly reported symptoms, With a combination as such, a respiratory origin, or to a lesser extent, a cardiac origin of these symptoms could be implicated.
Its worth knowing whether you have a family history of asthma or not, whether you have a history of atopy (react to pollen, skin rashes or allergies, always having rhinitis or itchy eyes), whether its your first time to experience this or not. A notion of changing the environment or the mode of onset, whether it was abrupt or after physical activity, and associated symptoms like wheezing sounds on breathing are necessary to evaluate this situation. In case of a family history of asthma or atopy and associated wheezing sounds, notion of effort or abrupt change for environment, it would most probable that it could asthma or another respiratory cause.
However, its also interesting excluding cardiac or heart possibilities. If you had it on exertion, or have a history of heart disease, or family history of heart disease this could be a possibility. Other non cardiac and non respiratory causes like acute gastritis and gastro esophagal reflux disease could also be included, but in this situation, would really be rare possibilities.
Doing a chest X XXXXXXX and Electrocardiogramme (ECG), cardiac ultrasound and spirometry are vital in determining whether the cause of the disease was of cadiac or respiratory origin. A good clinical examination by an internist, cardiologist or pneumologist, coupled with these exams are keys aspects in making an appropriate diagnosis and establishing an appropriate treatment plan.
Thanks as I hope this helps. Will be honored answering further questions if any and thanks for using health care magic,
Luchuo, MD.