Treatment for confusion, headache, tiredness, lethargy and chills?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi there, I have a ten yr old boy.He has been experiencing the following symtoms: confusion, headaches, tiredness, lethargaric & chills. This has been ongoing for a few months with no answers. All blood work has been done except thyroid. Do u have any answers
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your concern here.
From the symptoms that you have stated for your son - confusion, headache, tiredness, lethargy and chills, and you have also stated that all blood works have been done and I suppose they were within the normal range. Yes, your concerns are justified and you should get a thyroid test done for your son. Hypothyroidism (Lack of thyroid hormone) can present at an early age, though not very common and will have these symptoms. Even if the thyroid status is normal, you should consider psychological causes for these symptoms unexplained by various tests. And these issues are very common during adolescence especially when there is a rapid change in their bodies, the culture and surroundings.
Adolescent Depression is one entity and can be more surely commented on after a details interview with your son. If this stands out to be true, then your son will benefit with an anti-depressant and cognitive behavioral therapy.
You should also inquire in school about any episodes of bullying or any abuse by a teacher or school staff. Such incidents can also produce these problems.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
I would be happy to help if you need any further clarifications.
Hope your son gets well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli