Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

175 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Treatment for chronic rheumatoid arthritis?

Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Question: I have extreme weakness of both arms & shoulders and tingling & numbness of fingers on both hands. I have chronic rheumatoid arthritis. My orthopaedic neurosurgeon can't do any more to help and has referred me to a pain clinic.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

I can understand your pain.I would like to tell you about nature of the disease so that you can better understand the disease.

It is an autoimmune disease, which means the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue and is also a long-term disease that leads to inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues.

It requires lifelong treatment in form of medication (like anti-inflammatory drugs, Disease modifying antirheumatoid drugs and biological), physical therapy, exercise and possibly surgery.

Early, aggressive treatment for RA can delay joint destruction.

At present you are not taking Disease modifying antirheumatoid drugs and biological. So I advice you to discuss about this with your orthopaedic.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,