Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Treatment for chest pain and fast heart rate

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions

I sometimes feel pain in my chest and heartbeat are faster than normal, this is usually in night time
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 40 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

     You have not said of any characteristics of the pain – nature, duration, precipitating and relieving factors and so on. Pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on.
     Also, you have not said any description of the fast rate – duration, onset, offset, regular or irregular, associated symptoms and so on.

Symptoms occurring only at night could be from fear or worries (Anxiety).
But, it is wiser to get investigated for Coronary Artery Disease.
You should see a cardiologist / or an Internist

     A thorough history and physical examination is the first step -
ECG (Electrocardiogram / EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination.
     HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) is done to analyse and plan for further management, if a routine ECG does not show fast beats,
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
      TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow), as the cause of pain.
     LABORATORY work-up is routine - like cardiac markers, blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active), Lipids and so on.

Your Internist shall suggest based on history and examination.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor