question-icon

Treatment for burning sensation around lower rib?

Posted on Thu, 6 Mar 2014
Question: I have a burning sensation around my lower right rib going towards the centre. I am an overweight 63 year old lady
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh (6 hours later)
Brief Answer: Hyperacidity... Detailed Answer: Hello, Possibly it is related to acidity. I would start you on antacid like omeprazole 20 mg twice a day for few days and see how you feel. This is available over the counter as prilosec OTC. Besides medication, it would be worthwhile getting an x ray of chest, an abdominal ultrasound and ECG in view of your lung shadow. Also look if there are any tiny vesicles over the chest wall as it may suggest an viral (herpes infection). You can plan these test under your physician's guidance as you start those medicines. Hope this answers your query. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist