Treatment for bacterial diarrhea

Dr. Synthyia Bhagat

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 6 months old and she is having light greenish colour some time yellowish motion ( 3 times a day) for the past 7 days. Done a stool test and the result Occult blood - Traces, Reducing substances - 0.5%, pus cell 30-40hpf, Macrophages - Absent, RBCs - 5-6HPF, Bacteria - Increased
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. As per reports your child is having bacterial diarrhea. I suggest you to get her examined by pediatrician as he needs an antibacterial. In the meantime give oral rehydration solution sip by sip after each loose stool. Give probiotic for 2 to 3 days. Give lemonade,coconut water,boiled dal water,rice water. Monitor and maintainence of hydration is very important. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help further. Wishing your child good health. God bless..
Follow up: Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 11 hours later
Thanks for your reply Doctor. We went to pediatrician and as per his we have been giving Ziorcal (Zinc Gluconate Oral Solution) 0.5ml twice a day and Septran 3 ML twice a day for almost for the past 5 days. The report was taken yesterday and Is there any improvement. I have attached the Old stool report which was taken on 18th Feb. Kindly Advice. Thank you Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Kindly send me both reports.so that I can compare.
Follow up: Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
I have uploaded both Reports. and also Dr advised to stop mothers feeding. Shall I do it and any precautionary meassure to be taken? Almost 7 days no changes in stool. Thanks Dcotor.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks again. As I see from reports there is no improvememt and symptoms are also persisting so if such case will come to be I will change antibiotic and will do stool culture. Moreover I do not thing stopping breast milk is required. I suggest you to get your child re examined.and you can also get opinion of another pediatrician In the meantime continue with ors and other fluids as already mentioned. Hope this helps. Take care..