Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Treatment for arm weakness and pain and inability to grip objects?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5571 Questions
Hi I am suffering from complete right sided arm /shoulder weakness, arm pain, and inability to grip anything, as simple as squeezing a toothpaste tube. I was in a car accident 2/28/13. I had a cervical disc removed at c6-7 with bone graft and fusion ( a that time I had lost function of my left side, identical current symptoms.) My MRI report shows 3 areas of disc protrusion on the right that directly correlates with the symptoms and loss of function I'm experiencing. I respond to steroid treatment, as I did prior to my first surgery. Unfortunately, my neurosurgeon doesn't believe in reading the radiologist's interpretation of the MRI report, they only act on what see on the actual MRI. Because they aren't seeing the disc issues noted on the report, he is refusing to see to treat me. I was treated by his PA with steroid therapy and had relief of my symptoms, as soon as it was stopped, all symptoms are back in full force. This has been going on since December, I am afraid of permanently losing function on my right side, which is my dominant hand. I don't know what to do at this point, any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you XXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: I agree with you. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with you that your current symptoms are most probably related to the nerve compression in the cervical region due to prolapsed discs. Right sided weakness of arm/shoulder, pain in the arm, and numbness can occur with nerve root compression on the right side, and it can be clearly seen in the MRI. In your case, the radiologist reports also shows that. It is unfortunate that your neurosurgeon does not agree with these findings. You can start pregabalin or gabapentin capsules, and undergo physiotherapy (IFT, ultrasound, traction, etc). Epidural injection is the next option, if the above do not help. Consulting another neurosurgeon is also an option. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor