Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Treatment for PTSD, pain, panic attack after accident?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 621 Questions
hi I am 44yo female- 7 years ago I had a severe near fatal jeep rollover- since then I have suffered ptsd so bad well as lots physical pain as well I have been suffering for at least 6 mo of severe panic attacks.... I have also had my father have a stroke 6 mo ago as well- I take Prozac- what advice to u have
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follow the steps... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting. The treatment of Posttraumatic stress disorder is complex. So I think you should follow these steps: - Trauma-focused cognitive-behavioral therapy to identify upsetting thoughts about the traumatic event–particularly thoughts that are distorted and irrational and replacing them with more balanced picture. - Family therapy, to help your familiars understand and communicate better with you. This will help them to support you. - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing that consist elements of cognitive-behavioral therapy. In these cases Prozac is used. When this medicine doesn't work the other alternative is Sertraline(Zoloft) 25mg 1 pill a day for the first week. The dosage is increased by 25mg the second week, so the second week Zoloft 50mg 1 pill a day is used. In this treatment the most important is finding a therapist for post-traumatic stress disorder. Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Treatment for PTSD, pain, panic attack after accident? 4 hours later
dr.behar thank you. I admit I was skeptical to use the web site- but being an RN for 18 yrs. u gave me the advice I knew I should do. my only thing is this- I don't know how to find a real doctor here who performs cog,. beh. therapy. I live in Tucson az- but not for long and all my professional contacts are 3000 miles away. I need help bad. why do I have a fear of people and places- I feel suffocated and in a paralyzed state many times like I cant follow through w/ things I have to do - fear of people- when I go and get home from my MD appt. I get physically sick- I am sick of this routine, stressed .....I sit at home and find myself staring at things for many minutes. I mean I feel brain damaged. is this how other people w. ptsd feel????
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Those symptoms are normal for your situation... Detailed Answer: Thank you for writing back. Symptoms you are experiencing are related with Post traumatic stress disorder. These symptoms are manifested to all the patients that have experienced a trauma. In general are the females that feel those symptoms and experience it very bad. I think that Zoloft will relieve your symptoms and your health condition will improve. As for the PTSD therapist I searched on the internet and I found something that maybe will help you. In that website you can find a PTSD therapist near you. Check this website out: WWW.WWWW.WW I hope I helped you. Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor