Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Treatment for Entamoeba histolytica

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
have mentioned the same earlier in the medical history field
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your child's stool report shows infection with Entamoeba histolytica ( cysts seen in stool test ).
The treatment includes a course of a antibiotic / antiprotozoal drugs like metronidazole .The present treatment of Enterogermina and oral rehydration is suitable for viral diarrhoea but will not resolve bacterial or protozoal diarrhoea ( like this one).
So you need to consult your doctor to prescribe a course of antibiotics rightaway .
After the final culture report any additional antibiotic if needed may be started ( if additional bacterial growth seen ie mixed infection seen).
I would also recommend to continue enterogermina and electrol as well as get a zinc supplement ( zinconia, Z & D etc) usually given as 20 mg/ day .
This would be the supportive therapy to help your child recover faster and avoid dehydration.
The diet you mentioned is appropriate , however XXXXXXX peas is not much recommended in diarrhoea .
You can give Nusobee soy milk to replace dairy milk.
You can give 2-4 tsp of pomegranate juice daily.
However frequent breastfeeding must be continued which as you know is the safest and best nutrition for infants.
Apart fr this the diet you mentioned is fine.
So please consult your doctor for appropriate antibiotic prescription and do let me know the progress .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor