Treatment for Entamoeba histolytica

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: have mentioned the same earlier in the medical history field
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Your child's stool report shows infection with Entamoeba histolytica ( cysts seen in stool test ).
The treatment includes a course of a antibiotic / antiprotozoal drugs like metronidazole .The present treatment of Enterogermina and oral rehydration is suitable for viral diarrhoea but will not resolve bacterial or protozoal diarrhoea ( like this one).
So you need to consult your doctor to prescribe a course of antibiotics rightaway .
After the final culture report any additional antibiotic if needed may be started ( if additional bacterial growth seen ie mixed infection seen).
I would also recommend to continue enterogermina and electrol as well as get a zinc supplement ( zinconia, Z & D etc) usually given as 20 mg/ day .
This would be the supportive therapy to help your child recover faster and avoid dehydration.
The diet you mentioned is appropriate , however XXXXXXX peas is not much recommended in diarrhoea .
You can give Nusobee soy milk to replace dairy milk.
You can give 2-4 tsp of pomegranate juice daily.
However frequent breastfeeding must be continued which as you know is the safest and best nutrition for infants.
Apart fr this the diet you mentioned is fine.
So please consult your doctor for appropriate antibiotic prescription and do let me know the progress .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.