Treated with antibiotic for UTI. Urine test showed presence of epithelial cells. Is this normal?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: WHAT DOES INDICATION OF 10 TO 15 HPF EPITHELIAL CELLS IN URINE MY MOTHER HAD UTI AND WAS TREATED WITH ANTIBIOTICS AND CURED, SUBSEQUENT ROUTINE URINE REPORT SHOWS 10 TO 15 HPF EPITHELIAL CELLS IN URINE. IS IT NORMAL
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

"Epithelial cells" are basically the lining cells in the urinary or genital passage, These cells which will be regulary shed off and regenerated. So, it is normal that some of these cells are sloughed or shed into the urine.The presence of epithelial cells in urine generally means that the urine sample was not a clean collection and has been contaminated with these cells from the urinary or genital passage.

What is important to look for in case of a urinary infection is the presence of bacteria, "pus cells" / WBC, RBC. So, if your grandmother's repeat urine sample did not contain any bacteria or any significant no. of WBC or RBC, then it means that her urinary infection has been cured. So, as long as the infection is cured, you need not worry about the presence of epithelial cells.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar