Treated for stage 1 ovarian and endometrial cancers. Scan showed renal cortical lesion. Any idea?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: I am a 47-year-old who was diagnosed in XXXXXXX of this year with stage 1 ovarian and endometrial cancers (no metastasis but a synchronous presentation of 2 primary sites). I successfully underwent a hysterectomy and 6 chemotherapy treatments with Taxotere and Carboplatin. Two days ago I had my first follow-up CT with contrast. Everything looked great from a gyn perpective, but the report showed that there is now a 1.2 cm exophytic left upper renal cortical lesion. The report did state that sometimes aml cysts have this appearance. I have an appointment for follow-up with a nephrologist in approximately 3 weeks, but that's a long way off when you're as frightened as I am! Can you shed some light on this for me? Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I am surprised on your fear as you must be strong person by now after fighting double cancer.
Such swelling of this size are usually non cancerous simple cysts.
But the point that it could be cancer is suggested by the ENHANCEMENT ON THE CT.
If the size is less than 2 cm, we do not consider cancer as a diagnosis.
If your UROLOGIST (WHO you ARE SUPPOSED TO SEE AND NOT NEPHROLOGIST) still suspects cancer, he may do a biopsy for proof and if positive can be treated with minimally invasive methods like cryotherapy, as it is very small. You are very unlikely to require a major surgical procedure based on the report.
Hope this helps, kindly get back for doubts if any,
Best Regards
DR GS