Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Treated for sinus infection. Noticed swollen area in ear causing pain in jaw and headache. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
My husband has large swollen area in ear causing pain in jaw and severe headache. He's lethargic today
and should he go to urgent care? He's 37going and recently was treated for sinus infection and bronchitis.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through your query regarding large swollen area near ear, causing severe pain in jaw movement. Your husband is getting treatment for sinus infection.

Based on these above symptoms, it is most likely that he has a maxillary sinus disease. Because sinus disease can cause this painful swelling. The possible explanations are:
(1) Sinus infection may give rise to enlargement of lymph nodes.
(2) Sinus has disease which eroded the sinus wall and appear as a painful lump near ear.
(3) Acute Parotid lump.

He needs evaluation to confirm the diagnosis. Since he is in pain and is lethargic, I suggest you to visit ER or free clinic at the earliest. The following investigation procedures are in order:
(1) M.R.I. of paranasal sinuses.
(2) F.N.A.C. from lump.

Hope this answers your query. I will be pleased to clarify any of your doubts.

With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor