Treated for right basal pneumonia. Developed cough and breathlessness. Advice some cure

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My mother who is 83 year old has been diagnosed with probable right basal pneumonia. She has had 1 day stay in hospital & is now back home. She has completed a 7 day course of antibiotics - CO-Amoxiclav 625mg. She suffers from fast AF and takes Bisoprolol 2.5mg daily and Frusemide 40mg daily. She was treated for dehydration, so she has not been taking the Frusemide. She has developed a cough but not bringing up very much mucus. At night the cough is worse and she becomes breathless. Her heart beat is much more irregular also at night. Can you suggest what else we can do to help my mother recover as she appears to be well one day and worse another day?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

What is her present blood pressure & pulse rate?
Is there associated fever and chest pain along with breathlessness?
Is breathlessness occurring on lying down position or in sitting position?

There could be possibilities of persistent of pneumonia (means partially treated) or left ventricular failure.
Considering her age and associated heat disease, 10-14 days treatment of pneumonia may be required for complete recovery.

Bisoprolol, warfarin and furosemide is appropriate medicine and she can continue.
There may be requirement of increment of dosage of above mentioned medicines.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ treating doctor and should go for thorough check up.
She should undergo for 2 D echo and should get evaluation of ejection fraction (% of blood pumped by heart).
In left ventricular failure, this ejection fraction is decreased.
She should also go for repeat chest x XXXXXXX for evaluation of clearance of pneumonia; her condition may require further continuation of antibiotics if pneumonia is still persisting.
She should also take digoxin for control of heart rate.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava