Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Treated for rheumatoid arthritis. Having pain and swelling in ankles and legs. Should I take benadryl?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10392 Questions
I have had three IV treatments of Orencia for Rheumatoid . #1- nothing happened, no improvement, no worsening. #2 _ I had severe pain of the body that lasted a week or more. #3 - I had it Monday February 18. I had pain most of the night. Yesterday the pain intensified and I have painful swelling in my ankles and legs, more on the left side than the right side. Today, I am in extreme pain on my entire left side. I can't turn my head. I have tingling in my hands and feet and left arm. Should I take Benadryl if I can swallow it?
Thank you Kindly,XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Orencia is a biological treatment to reduce the joint pain associated with arthritis.
The painful swelling in the ankles can be an allergic reaction or the body's immune response.
You can take Benadryl to decrease the signs of allergy if you can swallow it. In case the swelling increases further then it is best to consult your rheumatologist for examination and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor