Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Treated for pneumonia. Having joint pain, feeling fatigued. Tested negative for mono. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
43 yo female nonsmoker,no chronic health problems, oocas drink 3-4 glasses wine per week.(but no alcohol in about seven weeks) . treated for pneumonia in hospital one month ago. My pneumonia has resolved.during my hospitalization it was discovered that my lfts were elevated and have decreased some but remain elevated after one month. sgot73 and alt 107. alkaline phosphate was elevated during hospitalization but now normal. my sed rate was25. I had us in hospital gallbladder and bile duct appeared nl but splean slightly enlarged. Feeling better but still have joint pain, fatique, and some epigastric pain. Can I assume that I possibly had a virus in addition to the pneumonia and that these labs will return to normal in the next few weeks ?
I had negative test for mono
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
You are a social alcoholic, you had pneumonia and received treatment which I am sure consisted of Antibiotics and Acetaminophen.

These are three entities and each one has got the potential to raise LFTs by itself.
So three partners, ALCOHOL, PNEUMONIA, MEDICINES all have played some role.
Anyway the last two are gone but Alcohol is still there, so try to stop it till your LFTs come to baseline normal.
It is very unlikely to be viral because LFTs derange in thousands ranges in that problem.
Enlarged spleen may be a response to pneumonia-sepsis related inflammation.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor