Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Treated for infection in both eyes. Eyes are red, sticky and watery always. Suspected glaucoma. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
Hello good noon. I had checked an eye test for my dad las week as he had some problems like infectious in both where in it was treaed well. Even after that he has the problem in both the eyes. It looks like reddish and waterish always. In the morning it is sticky always together. It was said due to the dryness caused. But in final set of report was said that he was suspected Glaucoma affected and cataract in both the eyes. i am shoccked. Once cataract operated only that Glaucoma would be treated. I am confused totally. Can I get any help from either from you or a specialist?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cataract,glaucoma associated with chronicinfection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

From the history you have provided here your father is having three different problems.
He is having age related problem-cataract, which is quite common in this age group.
Glaucoma usually affects people older than 40-50 years. Though glaucoma and cataract are two different problems they can co exist together as both are seen in the elderly age group.
But both can be treated together, one need not wait till the cataract surgery is done infact surgery for both can be combined and done if both require surgical treatment.

The treatment available for cataract is only surgery. However for glaucoma surgery is the last treatment and treatment is done by antiglaucoma eye drops. Surgery for glaucoma is done if glaucoma is not responding to medical treatment.

Coming to the other problem redness of eyes, watering and discharge can be because of infections like chronic dacryocystitis or chronic conjunctivitis. These can be treated by antibiotic eye drops.

Hence I advice you to consult your ophthalmologist and discuss with him all the above modalities of treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor