Treated for double pneumonia. Developed itchy rashes. Is this due to clarithromycin and co-amoxiclav?
I was admitted for ?double pneumonia on 11th January and given IV Co-Amoxocillin and oral clarithromycin, in addition to prednisolone and nebulised salbutamol.
I was discharged on 14th January on 6 days of co-amoxiclav 625mg tds and 30mg prednisolone o.d. for six day.
On 5th February I developed a rash: I would describe it as being quite splodgy in nature and very itchy affecting my torso in particular as well as my arms and legs. It was quite hot and swollen, particularly on my chest.
I initially tried self-medicating: I took chlorphemanine and also bought Nyotrol in case it was a fungal infection.
The piriton made me very drowsy and I only took it for a few days (averaging two tablets a day) as by the third day I was also getting visutal disturbances too and my neck was more swollen.
After seeing GP yesterday, I now have a steroid and some doublebase cream to apply which seem to be helping.
My question is...(sorry for being so long-winded!)
Is it possible to get a rash develop after taking the clarithromycin and co-amoxiclav ten days after stopping it?
In medicine, anything is possible. But, the rash being a result of the medication is highly unlikely. Am glad the creams are working. In all likelihood, it is possibly a seborrheic dermatoses & will respond to the meds. Thanks for your detailed description..you dont need to feel terrible about it. It actually is pretty sweet of you & helps us help you better. Wish you continued Good Health! Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Itchy rash on neck co amoxiclav
- Co amoxiclav itchy mouth
- What is co amoxiclav used to treat
- Collapsed lung due to pneumonia
- Co amoxiclav to treat epididymitis
- Aspiration pneumonia to develop
- Will antibiotic help cure double pneumonia
- How serious is double pneumonia
- Hyperinflated lungs due to pneumonia
- Complications due to itching rash pneumonia
- Getting tingling sensation and irregular rashes on skin. Have suffered...
- 2 year child having rashes all over body. What is causing this and the...
- Have had dark spots on upper arm. Having allergic reaction and sensitive...
- Biopsy done for moles. Mole has regrown through the scar tissue. What...
- Having itchy white spot on upper lip and it is spreading. What are they...
- Have a tiny dot on chest. Smelly stuff comes out after squeezing. What...
- Get aroused but do not reach climax. Is it because of old age?
- Having area of purplish and red veins in back of throat and sides of...
- Having itchy red patches in the groin area and legs with hair loss. Are...
- Noticed dark circular bump near urethra. Having burning sensation after...