Treated for cancer. Uncontrolled urination with blood in it. Medical test normal. What's going on?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Question: She has problems urinating and lack of control with little urine passing, then she passes a blood clot in urine....it happens and then everything is normal for a few months and then this episode occurs again. This has happened 4 times since she was treated for cancer..now all reports are normal and she has had radio therapy and nothing seems abnormal. Please respond with as much details as possible. thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
First let me say that there are 2 elements to this problem.
At age 75,urinary incontinence occurs commonly esp in women due to what we call 'cyctocele' or a 'bladder prolapse' .This occurs due to loss of tension in the bladder walls which cannot hold the urine,hence the lack of control. This is easily treatable by medicines/surgery.
The other most significant problem is possibility of bladder wall involvement after chemo/radiotherapy.This means that there may be remnants of the cancer and its affecting the bladder wall.Only an examination and MRI can diagnose this.If thats the case,she may need chemo again.
The third option would be a severe UTI resulting is blood in the urine.
You need to make sure she sees a doctor for the appropriate tests .
I suggest that this happen soon since she has history of cancer.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Can the MRI detect the problem with Bladder wall and possibility of cancer. I got her CA 125 done a month ago and it was all clear with good results.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 42 minutes later
MRI can only detect of there is any infiltration of the bladder wall. If there is any growth,it should show on the MRI.