Treated for bacterial prostatitis. Tested negative for std and uti. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm being treated for bacterial prostatitis. I'm feeling pretty much back to normal but I have a question related to the possibility of my condition not actually being prostatitis but something else. I have had a full blood profile that shows I have no STDs, but I am still curious about something:

I recently had a urinalysis done that showed I was completely clear of pathogens in a 24 hour and 48 hour culture. My question is...let's say in theory I did NOT have prostatitis, but instead had chlamydia or gonorrhea, would something/anything show up on the urinalysis that would tip off that something was wrong?

I am a virgin in the term of intercourse, but I have had oral sex and my symptoms did show up after receiving oral sex. But, I showed no symptoms of either of those diseases but all symptoms pointed to prostatitis so the doctor just considered it a coincidence since I have been treated for prostatitis in the past.

So, my curiosity is still raised since my symptoms came on after oral. I have a round of Zithromax I could take just in case.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Sorry, it wasn't a urinalysis that is tested that day, it was a urine culture and they did a 24 hour and 48 hour test on it. Each one reads "no pathogens" next to it.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that there is no evidence of any UTI) or sexually transmitted disease (STD) in your case.

Both Chlamydia and gonococci infections, if present, would show up in urine culture. So, a negative culture rules out both the possibilities.

Also, there is no risk of getting UTI with oral sex.

As of now, there is no need to take any antibiotics, as there is no evidence of infection at present.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later
Hi doctor,

Thank you for your great and reassuring information. My question from here is that how would one acquire prostatitis from right after an oral sex encounter? I mentioned earlier I am nearly pain free from taking other antibiotics but I still feel some pain from it. It has happened to me twice and has lingered for months. And although again I feel almost back to normal, it's still there a little, and the timing of it made me think it could be something else that we discussed here.

However, with a clean urine culture and clean full blood profile for STD, what could possibly be left other than prostatitis that this could be? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

One can get prostatitis without sex. So, in your case, prostatitis is not related to oral sex. Just as one can get UTI without sex, prostatitis can occur too like that.

In some cases, urine culture would be negative. For prostatitis, treatment is often empirical (diagnosis made based on the symptoms). Sometimes, a rectal examination can reveal tenderness when pressed over the prostate.

A good ultrasound examination can reveal changes in prostatitis and can also show up any alternative diagnosis.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM