Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Treated for UTI and sinus infection. Am I at the risk of getting flu?

Answered by
Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :1992

Answered : 1663 Questions

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I am currently being treated for a UTI and sinus infection. I learned today that my nephew (who I have been around all weekend, taking care of him while he's sick) just tested positive for the flu. I have not had a flu shot. I am also concerned because I have asthma so the flu can be even worse for me. His doctor would not prescribe tamilflu for the rest of us because its in high demand. Should I call my own dr and ask for some? How likely am I to get the flu? I am also a teacher and don't want to spread it to my students.
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

I appreciate your concerns. The first thing I would suggest you is to take due precautions to prevent spreading flu from your nephew to you. As you are not vaccinated, it can spread and cause infection if you are not sufficiently protected. Therefore take the usual measures of protection like wearing face mask (both you and your nephew); mantain a distance of at least one meter away from him, proper cleaning of hands and floor surfaces, not sharing any things and finally using disposable items.

If you take all these measures you can prevent spreading flue from your nephew to you.

Calling your Doctor for Tamiflu is not bad idea. You can do that.

You need not take leave from school if you haven't developed symptoms of flu.

In brief with necessary precautions, you can limit the spread of flu.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Take care and regards
Dr Sadiq.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Pandemic

doctor1 MD

Hello, My 2 year old had Hepatitus A & B jab last Thursday and became ill with a chesty cough and flu symptoms in the last 48 hours. She is now showing a temperature of 39.2 and has very watery eyes and is pretty upset / whinging, are these symptoms of the vaccine?

doctor1 MD

Hi I have had the flu for around four days it caused me to get pretty sick but today is the fourth day and I m finally starting to feel like myself but earlier this morning when I got out if the shower I noticed I have kinda like a rash on my arms and torso and a tiny bit in my thighs is this what happens when having the flu I also was vomiting from this flu could that have something to do with it? Thanks for your help

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed by a specialist with IBS. I am experiencing symptoms of diarrhea and am wondering if having the chills or a fever would be associated with this, too? Been going on now for about a month, subsides, then returns. Seems almost like the flu...

doctor1 MD

I had acase of swine flu pregnant iher 2nd trimester admitted to the hospital for fever ,dry cough ,&premature uterine contraction .do you think that her complete blood count showing always normal WBC count but with severe decline of lymphocyte suggestive of viral disease??

doctor1 MD

How much sugar and animal fat (like butter or meat or cheese) is healthy on a day to day basis? I am 31 male, 142 lb, 80/120 blood pressure. Also is it bad to use canola oil on a hot pan while cooking?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor sorry I know your busy, if your busy you can text back. I had a recent blood test ordered last week by my doctor which was my yearly one. At that time I had a UTI infection and was about to come down with the flu . The results came In...

doctor1 MD

how long after you contract the flu are you contagious?