Treated for UTI and sinus infection. Am I at the risk of getting flu?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I am currently being treated for a UTI and sinus infection. I learned today that my nephew (who I have been around all weekend, taking care of him while he's sick) just tested positive for the flu. I have not had a flu shot. I am also concerned because I have asthma so the flu can be even worse for me. His doctor would not prescribe tamilflu for the rest of us because its in high demand. Should I call my own dr and ask for some? How likely am I to get the flu? I am also a teacher and don't want to spread it to my students.
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

I appreciate your concerns. The first thing I would suggest you is to take due precautions to prevent spreading flu from your nephew to you. As you are not vaccinated, it can spread and cause infection if you are not sufficiently protected. Therefore take the usual measures of protection like wearing face mask (both you and your nephew); mantain a distance of at least one meter away from him, proper cleaning of hands and floor surfaces, not sharing any things and finally using disposable items.

If you take all these measures you can prevent spreading flue from your nephew to you.

Calling your Doctor for Tamiflu is not bad idea. You can do that.

You need not take leave from school if you haven't developed symptoms of flu.

In brief with necessary precautions, you can limit the spread of flu.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Take care and regards
Dr Sadiq.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad